Please Enter a Search Term


Everything you wanted to know about the Chemistry Department but were afraid to ask!

General Inquiries?

Check with either the general office, (Room C-4000, tel. 864-8746) or the Head's office, (Room C-4000B, tel. 864-8772)

Faculty Advisors for Chem Majors and Honours Students

If you plan to major in chemistry, consult a Chemistry faculty advisor on all academic matters. Individual programs must be drawn up in consultation with the advisor, who will be assigned when you declare a chemistry major. Make an appointment to see your faculty advisor or Dr. Chris Flinn, Deputy Head, Undergraduate Studies (Room C-4014, tel. 864-7911).

Having course registration problems?

See Dr. Chris Flinn, Deputy Head, Undergraduate Studies (Room C-4014, tel. 864-7911).

NEVER register for courses that have a timetable clash. You cannot be in two places at the same time! If you get into this situation, it may not be easily remedied.

Laboratory Classes - Repeating.

If you have to repeat a course that includes a laboratory you are not required to repeat the laboratory portion of the course if you completed it within the most recent three semesters and received a laboratory mark of 70% or better. If you choose not to repeat the laboratory you must apply to Ms. Mary Flinn, C-4000 before the first laboratory period. This can be most easily done online using our lab waiver application form.

Limited Enrolment Courses

Some high demand courses are designated as Limited Enrolment Courses. Students who fail to attend lectures/lab in the first week of term may be deregistered from the course. Such courses are indicated in the Timetable Slot Book.

Completed Advanced Placement Chemistry or the International Baccalaureate in High School?

You may be entitled to credit for one or more first year courses. Follow the appropriate link to see the transfer information from the advising centre:

Advanced Placement

International Baccalaureate

You should consult the Registrar's Office (Barbara Adams, tel 864-4423) to ensure that proper credit for AP Chemistry has been awarded. Contact the Chemistry Department if you have these credits and wish to register for further chemistry courses.

Having trouble with lecture material or labs? Don't wait until it's too late!

Go to the Chemistry Resource Room or Chem 1010/1011 Help Centre for help with first and second year courses.

Make an appointment with your professor or lab instructor to discuss your problem.

Study and practice problems every day.

The Chemistry Resource Room (C-2010)

A staff person is available from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (and some Saturdays during the exam period) to provide tutorial help with course or lab work for first and second year courses. Students have access to textbooks and other reference material.

The Chem 1010/1011 Help Centre (C-2022)

The Chemistry 1010/1011 Help Centre is peopled by staff involved in the Chem 1010/1011 courses and is available for students in those courses to receive tutotial help with course or lab work

Laboratory Attendance - Compulsory means compulsory! REALLY!

Attendance at all laboratory classes in your first year Chemistry courses is compulsory. If you miss one laboratory session without a valid documented reason (medical, bereavement or other*) you will be assigned a grade of 0% for that lab class. This may make it difficult to achieve a sufficiently high mark to pass the laboratory component of the course. Missing a second laboratory session without a documented reason will result in an automatic failing grade (maximum of 49%) in the course, regardless of the marks achieved in non-laboratory components of the course. In the event of a medical or other emergency you must, within three days of returning to campus, provide documentation to the laboratory instructor to request an excused absence. If you have a valid documented reason for missing a laboratory session your marks for the completed laboratory sessions will be scaled to compensate for the missed session. If you miss more than three laboratory sessions, EVEN FOR VALID DOCUMENTED REASONS, you will be required to drop the course. In these circumstances the department will do everything in its power to assist you in gaining access to the next offering of the course and in completing your programme of studies without delay.

*Students who play varsity sports must get a signed letter from their coach at least a week in advance of any sports-related absences. This allows the possibility of making up a missed lab with another lab session.

Missed a final exam due to illness/family related problems or other valid reason?

Deferred exams may be granted to students who, for a valid reason, have missed the normally scheduled final exam. Forms requesting deferred exams are available in the General Office (C-4000) or can be filled out online using our deferred final exam request form. They must be submitted within one week of the scheduled time of the missed exam. Deferred examinations are not offered for class tests or midterm examinations.

Supplementary Final Exams

The Chemistry Department DOES NOT offer supplementary final exams for any of its courses.

Planning to ask for a re-read of an examination paper?

Re-read requests must be submitted to the Registrar's Office within four weeks of the final release of grades for the course. The fee is not returned unless the grade is raised....and yes, grades are sometimes lowered! Students are therefore urged to see their paper with their instructor before applying for a re-read of their paper.